No organic feed commercially available?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sundari, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Sundari

Sundari Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I have not been able to find any organic feed that is produced by a large company and widely available commercially. My understanding is that the only way to get organic chicken feed is through a local co-op or from a local farmer, but I wanted to double-check.

Does anyone know of a brand-name organic feed? Many thanks.

2. rabbithaus

rabbithaus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Triangle, NC
    Ranch-Way feeds came out with organic feeds. Since you're in Denver it shouldn't be too hard to find.

3. WildflowerJLH

WildflowerJLH Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, I can't help with what you are looking for. BUT, finding and Azure Standard buying group near you should not be too difficult. Good Luck!

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    GardeNerd started a very good thread on commercial organic feed and suppliers/locatiosn where you can purchase it. You should be able to find some in your area, the post has listings by states.... Here is the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/vie or you can check GardeNerds BYC page.... Quite a few people here feed organic. Hope you find what you need, the list is good

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    There was a thread here recently talking about commercially available feed that is non-GMO, Soy-Free, Organic, etc. I really wish I could find it again and offer its link. . . All I remember was one of them was a company that sells Coconut-Based chicken feed. [​IMG]

6. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

I think most of the Ranch-Way mills on the front range are now carrying an organic layer (and organic feeds for other animals, too). They have a 16% and a 20% layer, comes in 40# bags. It's about $22 for the 20%, which I'm feeding right now to help my girls through a moult. They seem to be doing well with it, though I wish it was a little less powdery - it has almost a flour-like consistency. I asked them about this and they said they have only one grinder for all their organic stuff (has to be kept separate) and they can't get a coarser grind. They have a "scratch" feed, too, that was also way too fine a grind - just blew away. But I was thrilled that they're going this direction, and I'm willing to pay the extra. But do check out GardeNerd's thread. She has a couple other options on there - one is for pick up in Boulder or Golden, I think.
    ETA: the layer is apparently designed to be fed in conjunction with the scratch feed according to the weight and production phase of your hens - this is according to their site. My hens free range most of the time, so I haven't been feeding the scratch. I did email RanchWay to ask why they don't provide a complete organic layer ration, waiting for a reply. Their site has the location of their dealers, there are several in the Denver area, so you should be able to find one fairly near. Theirs is by far the least expensive route I've found do go, though it still ain't cheap!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  7. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    There are several places now in Colorado to get organic poultry feed. Actually, one of the cheapest sources is a group that orders feed together. Check out the Farm/Garden ads on Craig's List as they periodically have an ad on there. The feed is incredibly inexpensive. I think the people involved with the Denver Urban Homesteader's also sell organic feed. Again, you can probably find an ad for them on CL. I heard they are doing an indoor weekend Farmer's market of some sort as well and I think they sell the feed there.

If you are near a Murdoch's, I noticed yesterday they are selling organic feed now as well. I can't remember what the brand was, but it was the same price as what Nostalchic posted for the Ranch-Way feed, so that might be the brand. You can also, of course, order organic feed from a number of sources. The biggest drawback though to ordering is the shipping cost. I have, in the past, ordered some of the necessary components and mixed my own feed with locally available grain. It is just very expensive and labor intensive. We could justify it because we have a few hundred birds. I probably won't do it again though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by