1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No Other Variety at county fair?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SpeckledPullet, Nov 3, 2010.

1. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    I entered my Calico Cochin Bantam roo at the county fair as an "Other Variety", but today the judge marked him as an unknown color and DQ'd him. Do they not offer the Other Varity class at county fairs or did I do something wrong? Confused ....

2. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:no, they should have a "other Variety" no matter what....

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    How did the coop card and judging sheet list him? Was it a sanctioned show? A licensed judge? Some judges are really picky about AOV and what it is supposed to mean. And different judges do things diferently. Some judges judge the bird by whatever is listed on the coop card, even if the card is marked incorrectly; other judges judge the bird by what it IS, not what it is marked as. I generally prefer this, but it would be nice if the APA and ABA would give a ruling on which is more proper, or when to do one versus the other.

Our state fair had HUGE problems with the coop cards not matching the way the birds were entered.

4. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Hi Sonoran,

I listed the bird as "Other Variety, Calico, Cochin Bantam" because the entry form asked for variety and breed. I included the color, because I thought they should know why he is listed as an Other Variety. I noticed most other people also included colors on their entries.

The cage card ONLY listed Calico Cochin and did not mention Other Variety. I worried about this, but just assumed they couldn't fit all of the info on the card (again first show for me). I figured they must have more info for the judge? Looking back, I should have written on the card myself and added "Other Variety" onto it. [​IMG]

As far as I know, this is a judge who was doing both the rabbits and poultry ... I don't think he is an APA judge.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Here's the way AOV works where I come from. I'll use the State Fair as an example but some other fairs work this way as well. The Fair entry book lists certain varieties eg: Barred Plymouth Rock, Partridge Plymouth Rock, White Plymouth Rock Buff Plymouth Rock & AOV Plymouth Rock. AOV would be Columbian, Blue or Silver Pencilled, the remaining named varieties. It would not include Caloco Plymouth Rocks or any other experimental, non-standard variety. In other words the AOV {any other variety] still needs to be an established variety.
    In non-fair shows or fairs that don't list specific varieties in their catalog it's different. I will speak for the two APA/ABA shows that I am secretary for. We do not take AOV entries. Your Calico Cochin would be entered as a Calico Cochin & would be judged against any other Calico Cochins present. Since Calico isn't a recognized Cochin variety the highest award it could receive would be Best of Variety, that variety being Calico Cochin.
    Writing AOV or anything else on your coop tag would be a bad idea as the only person allowed to write on a coop tag is the judge. If I were to come on a coop tag where the owner of the bird had written anything I would disqualify that bird. Also if the coop tag doesn't show what's actually in the class most judges will write "wrong class" on the card & not judge the bird.

6. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Thank you NYREDS - I saw other people writing on the cards, which is why I thought it would have been okay. Now I am glad that I didn't. Thanks for the heads up on that.

So, if I enter this bird into an APA show, are you saying the best thing to do is NOT add him into AOV, but just list him as a Calico Cochin?

Thanks for any help. I'd like to enter him into the Lake City show, so want to know what to do in the future to avoid another DQ.

Thanks

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    So, if I enter this bird into an APA show, are you saying the best thing to do is NOT add him into AOV, but just list him as a Calico Cochin?

Yes​

8. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Most county fairs are judged by whoever happens to be at the Ag Extension Service office that day. I've seen them "judge" birds by going down an isle of all kinds of breeds and varities and pick the one they thought was the prettiest looking bird. They generally don't judge by the APA Standards and many of them simply don't keep track of the new varieties of birds. You can try submitting information about the calicos so they will know about them for the next show.

9. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I think a lot of people are having issues at the shows with their Mille Fleur and Calico Cochins. But I believe one big issue here may be the fact that there is a Standardized Color Variety for Mille Fleur Plumage, even though it is not a recognized variety in Bantam Cochins (yet!). There is no Standardized Color Variety for "Calico" Plumage, so even if it is entered in the AOV Class, there is no Standard against which to judge the Plumage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by