No patience.... And its killing me!!

Jazzymond573

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 5, 2008
WI
First, last week TSC said the ducks would come in on Sunday the 5th (?? post office isnt open on Sunday so i have no idea what they were thinking there
roll.png
)

Then, of course, we come in on Sunday on the way home from WallyWorld (Walmart) and ask the nice girl working there if the ducks were in. She said "No, but they are supposed to come in this week. If you want we can put you on a list to be called when they come in." 'Course we say "sure!" and she puts us on the list.

Last year, i had bad dealings with a hatchery trying to get my chicks. First they were supposed to come in on June 21st, july 5th, then finally we got them on august 8th if i remember correctly. Talk about a waiting game! Yesh! I was thinking about that the whoooole time. Who wants to ever be put in that situation again?

So, Monday this week I wake up at 4am (UCK) from a dream where we head over to TSC because they called and the ducks were in. When we got there, people with little kids were in there "aaaawwww" and "oooooohh" -ing over the ducks
droolin.gif
. I finally make my way through the crowd to see people grabbing for the ducks 'til there were NONE left
barnie.gif
somad.gif
. I run over to the manager and start lecturing her how we were on the list and supposed to get our ducks FIRST
rant.gif
. Talk about a nightmare! lol
hit.gif
. (I just discovored the smily tab
smile.png
)

Anywho, everyday since Ive been waking up around 4am, 5am, then 6am! I have my alarm set for 6:25am so i can come on here and read up and (hopefully) get that call from TSC. Even if we dont get a call, we call 2 or 3 times a day asking if the ducks are in (I really dont trust the teenagers there,
gig.gif
).

Sigh, I have Duck Fever. If you can, post your rants or stories about getting ducks here.

The ducks came in at our TSC the other day and I couldn't believe the employees at that place.

They put a big thing in for the ducks to swim the day they arrived and wouldn't listen about the fact that the ducks were stressed from shipping and also would get waterlogged. They said it is cute and will sell more ducks cause people like it.

Then the one guy said the ducks in one tank are called Pekins and the ones in the other tanks are called Straight Runs. The other employee corrected him and said "No, them ones in the other tank is what's called Ruins". I corrected him about the name of the ducks and left before I flipped my lid at them.

A call I just made to Big R in Falcon...

Me: "Do you have any food grade Diatomaceous Earth?"
Flunky: "Huh?"
Me: " The kind of DE that is safe to put in a duck pen or chicken run."
Flunky: "I don't know if its food grade, but we don't carry DE anyway."
Me: "Uh, ok. While I have you on the line, do you have any ducks left?"
Flunky: "Yes we do."
Me: "What breed?"
Flunky: "Yellow"
th.gif

I felt bad for the ducks at our TSC. They were disgustingly dirty. I mean covered head to toe in poop, sand, water, and dirt. I tried to pick a few up, and dust them off a bit. We saw this little runty pekin walking across the other ducks backs. It was so tiny and had some festhering/baldness issues. We tried to convince the people there that we had four other ducks and since this one was a runt, we'd take him and give him a good home. We even offered to pay the full price for 6 (which was the limit) if we could just take him. My fiance wanted him sooooo bad, esp since he'll most likely get looked over for being so runty. They refused. We were very sad.

Reading these post makes me smile!
big_smile.png

While our new TSC will not open until April 18, we have an Orscheln farm store. That is where I bought my ducklings and let me tell you their employees are clueless!!!
The first shipment of ducklings they got in were Khaki Campbell but they had them labeled as Pekin. They were dark chocolate brown. I stood there looking at them and finally an employee asked if he could help me. This man was no kid, probably in his 50's. I said to him those ducklings are too dark to be Pekin ducks. No, no, they are fine all Pekins start out dark and get lighter with age. I replied Pekin ducks are white man! He gave me a dirty look and I just replied I think they are KC ducks. So I left that day, not making a new friend.
hu.gif
I went back a few days later to check out the new shipment of ducklings and they had them all labeled correctly for a change.
I also was calling the store everyday they had shipments coming from the hatchery. One day I asked the girl if they had any assorted ducklings and she said yes we do and they are yellow!
idunno.gif

Quote:
I know atleast some people at my TSC have half a mind..Thank God!
Well.. Hopefully they dont put the ones that dont in-charge of the ducks...
smack.gif

Im so scared they are going to be all gone before we get there! I went in yesterday to ask them if they had the ducks in (instead of calling).

The girl said "Yeah, but we only have two left."

"..."
barnie.gif
somad.gif

Other girl right next to her said "No! those are the chicks."

Phew. Close call.

WOW! Thats a gorgeous appy too!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom