No peas, please

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sjisty, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I've been trying different frozen vegetables for my flock. They absolutely love corn, of course. Today I thought I'd try frozen peas. I mixed the corn and peas half-and-half, thawed it out so it was cold but not frozen, and went outside to the flock. They came running from all four corners of the yard as soon as they saw the bowls - they know what comes in those bowls! I went back 10 minutes later to gather the bowls and found lots of peas scattering the ground and in the bowls, so no peas, please, just corn. Lesson learned - I don't want 40+ angry chickens! Let's see, what can I try tomorrow ...

2. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Hmmm, could just be because it was something "new" . I would try again.
    Mine love sweet peas.
    ON

3. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    wow they must be spoiled!! mine love peas! but dont like cabbage [​IMG]

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Mine love peas and cabbage! and corn.

5. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Mine adore peas among other things, but don't give them no stinkin' cabbage or kale! They turn their beaks up.[​IMG]

6. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Mine love corn, no green beans, lettuce or tomatoes though. They will kill you for a bowl of navy beans all cooked up! [​IMG]

7. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Mine eat anything they can fit in their mouths, or rip apart so it can fit in their mouths. They are also predators, attacking and killing moles, worms, frogs, and grass.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    How funny! My adult flock doesn't have any interest in vegetables except that they love sweet peas.
    I've always accepted it as a fact of their free ranging. They get all the tasty greens they want, but peas are not something they are going to find FR.

9. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:I find that in general too. We free range and the range is very good right know, most of the birds run buy the sprouts and mash to get out the door to free range. Later they come in and eat their "breakfast".
    They do like leftovers and eat the veggies if they have some sauce and noodles....[​IMG]

Meat is what gets them going in a frenzy though...
    ON

10. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    Quote:mine go bonkers for kale!!! i haven't tried cabbage yet....this morning they got their yogurt facials![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by