1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

no perch?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by glandongirl, Aug 2, 2014.

1. glandongirl

glandongirl In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    Orange County CA
    I have a small co-op built from a kit that houses 3 five week old barred rocks. So far everything is good but there is no perch in this co-op. Is that going to be a problem?

2. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    Mine never had a perch and were perfectly happy. :) they either slept on the ground or in the nesting boxes.

3. glandongirl

Jul 6, 2014
    Orange County CA
    Oh good. I was concerned that I would have to figure out a way to add a perch in the co-op. I do plan to let the free range a couple hours before bedtime each day so maybe the will perch on tree branches, etc. Thanks for your quick reply.

4. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    No problem. Enjoy your birds!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You really don't want them sleeping in the nest boxes as they poop a lot at night and that leads to poopy eggs.

They'll probably be alright but it's more work for you if you want to maintain a healthy coop.

If there's not room for a roost(perch), the coop might not be big enough for the birds.

You don't want them perching on tree branches at night when they should be closed up in the coop safe from night predators.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  6. glandongirl

Jul 6, 2014
    Orange County CA
    Yes, I am thinking I will have to get a larger one. I don't plan to leave them out at night although where I live in southern California there aren't many predators except house cats. I had two chickens years ago that lived totally free range but unfortunately they flew to the top of the block wall occasionally and a neighbor helped himself for thanksgiving dinner! The three I have now have been sleeping in the top level of the coop near the nesting box or in it. So Far it remains very clean in the nesting box. I have pine shavings and fresh herbs in there.

7. ECBW

ECBW Songster

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Chickens will live in any environment you put them in. But meeting their natural tendency and instinct is another story. If there is a roost, guess where they will go to sleep? A chicken coop kit that has no roost? Maybe it is a brooder.

X2 on the poopy eggs, a bad habit that will be tough to correct.

8. glandongirl

Jul 6, 2014
    Orange County CA
    That could be. At first I thought they left out the pole to be used as a roost but after looking over instructions again, it obviously was not intended to have one. I think I can put one inside myself or I may build a larger one before they get much older. Thanks for advice.

9. glandongirl

Jul 6, 2014
    Orange County CA
    Any ideas why they chirp so much? I think they have plenty if food and water.

10. ECBW

ECBW Songster

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Calling to mother hen? Maybe but chirping is normal. If they are quiet and lethargic, then it is time to worry.

On the subject of the coop, not every commercially available coop is created equal. Some make you wonder what they were thinking. There are a lot of good info here (as well as diverse opinions) that should help you. Projecting human mindset onto chickens and expecting them to live the way we do is not wise (although I do prefer the top bunk).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: