1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No pictures, but plesent surprise

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by eggcited2, Jul 9, 2011.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    My hubby was outside putting together the several smaller chicken shelters and he called for me to come outside right away.

I went out and he took me over the run with the bantam cochins. What a surprise to see two babies! [​IMG]

I knew two of the hens were setting on eggs, but had heard it was rare for cochins to actually hatch. (was told by several people that because of the feathers, cochins don't usually have fertile eggs). I did not expect to ever have any babies, but I am tickled pink there are some. [​IMG]

She is still setting on two more eggs and when I checked the other house/shelter they use, the other hen has three eggs.

These are the mille fleur cochin bantam group that I got from a person on here. I have been thrilled with them and so has everyone who has seen them. Now I have some babies from them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Congrats!! [​IMG]

3. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    That's awesome! Congrats on the babies- and hey, maybe there are more? [​IMG]

4. fluffandpuffchicks

fluffandpuffchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    One day I walk outside-normal rite? Of course people go in their yard but do they always find a chicken that flew the coop? I walked around the yard to find the bush moving. I took a double take! My California White was sitting in a Robin's nest! It was quite the surprise:yiipchick:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by