No pictures, just a cute story...sad update :'(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by shelleyd2008, Jun 24, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    This morning as I was feeding my birdies, my special needs BR hen found me. This girl was either scratched or pecked as a chick and is blind in one eye. She acts like she can't see well from the other eye either, but she is for sure at least partially blind.
    Anyway, she found me in the yard, she was looking for treats.
    I have some young marans chickens, they are about 3 months old. One of the little cockerels is such a sweetheart, and for some reason he is about half the size of the others. He follows me around the yard as well, at least when I'm in 'his' part of the yard.

So miss special-needs BR comes running up to me in the backyard where the marans hang out. Little marans cockerel comes running to me as well. Miss BR 'finds' the food pan that I was filling for a mama with bitties and starts chowing down. Little marans cockerel finds Miss BR. Of course, she is not trying to run from him, she can hardly see him. This makes him think that she is 'receptive' to his advances [​IMG]

As you can probably guess, Miss BR proceeded to whoop little marans cockerel, once she figured out what his intentions were....I hope he's not too scarred from the ordeal [​IMG] I'm sure it broke his little heart [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. magistradomina

magistradomina Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Where I live.
    Way to go speciall needs BR! Sorry rooster. [​IMG]

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Somebody's got to teach the little fella some manners!

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    tsk tsk he should have gained permission first. LOL

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've finally gotten some pics of my girl. I have yet to name her, nothing seems to fit. I still need to get pics of her 'suitor', wish I would have gotten one of him trying to woo her [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I imagine he thought he had permission since she wasn't trying to get away. He was making his little "I know I'm a boy but still peep like a baby' chirps, probably his interpretation of clucking to her. So when she was eating, after him 'clucking' [​IMG], that was probably the green light to him. [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I meant to get a pic of my little buddy today as well, but I couldn't find him. I figured he was roaming in the woods with the rest of his 'family'. I went out at dusk to close everyone's doors, and he is not in his pen. He has never not been in the pen, so I'm afraid something has gotten my little buddy [​IMG]

I'm so sad, he was such a little sweetheart. Why is it always the favorites that disappear? [​IMG]

8. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I also saw on FB that your little guy disappeared. I hope he makes his way back tomorrow morning. I really hope nothing bad has come of him. I'm upset myself at the moment because my broody that has chicks (2) brought them out into the yard for the first time today, and at dusk, we couldn't find her. Little brat took the chicks and went UNDER the coop, where we can't reach her. I can't close off under the coop because I have other broodies that snuck under there to lay their eggs. This particular broody had hers in the coop though. We had no choice but to leave her out there for the night. I have another broody inside the coop that hatched some chicks today, and I'm really hoping she doesn't do something like that too. That one is one of my Silkie hen and she is so docile that she lets us reach in and lift her right off her eggs. We lifted her today to check on her eggs because I kept seeing her look down toward her belly, like something was bothering her. Something sure was, they were hatching! I plan to enclose the lower front of the coop in chickenwire once all the broodies are out of there. The moment the last one comes out with her chicks, I'll be out there with my staple gun and the wire! I'll say prayers that your little roo is ok!

9. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Name her Helen: not only for Helen Keller, but because she whooped the cockerel to hel'en back!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by