No Pip Day 21

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by elizabethu42, Jun 29, 2016.

1. elizabethu42

elizabethu42 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Canada
    No peeping pipping moving nothing I heard shining a light on them will make them peep but they didn't and I tried tapping them still nothing[​IMG] I'm completely new so I'm so scared and I feel as though there not going to hatch [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    What has your incubator temperature been throughout incubation? If it was low they might hatch late. They will only peep if they are internally pipped. Have you been candling to track their development?

Edit: Also in your post history I see you set them on the 9th. If you set before noon you can count that as day one but if not, your real day 21 is tomorrow.

3. elizabethu42

Jun 28, 2016
    Canada
    The temp was 99.5 and it sometimes dropped. I heard that ur not supposed to open the incubator. On the 14 day I candled them and they showed development. I have never done this before and I feel as thought they won't hatch. Do a lot of people feel this on their first hatch? Also, I switched Incubators during Incubation cause the other one broke down, Will this effect the chicks?

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    A lot of people feel that way :) If the temp was dropping, it could cause a late hatch, so be prepared on that front. Opening the incubator does not hurt them, hens get off the nest every day for a half hour so they can easily withstand some cooling from the incubator being opened to candle, etc. Switching incubators won't have hurt them. Was there a cooling period between when one broke down and when you got them into the new one? If so that could cause a late hatch too. And like I said, today might not even be your real hatch date, tomorrow might be, so don't panic yet :)

5. elizabethu42

Jun 28, 2016
    Canada
    I think I just heard a peep but when I went to the baton there was nothing
    Was it my imagination

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sending good hatching vibes your way

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by