No pipping after 25 days!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantambaby7, Apr 22, 2012.

1. bantambaby7

bantambaby7 New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    My 14 barred rock eggs never pipped so I open them to find 8 perfectly formed chicks dead & they had never absorbed the yolk plus there was excess moisture so I'm assuming they drowned. All of the other eggs had chicks at various stages of formation. HELP! This is my third attempt to incubate without success, I had one bantam chick from 8 eggs last go round that hatched. I tried the dry hatch method I read about this time but still unsuccessful. I use a Hova Bator with circulated air and automatic turner for the 18 days then move them to a still air Little Giant to hatch, is this possibly the problem? I really want to get this right and hate losing chicks like that so any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

2. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    Im so sorry for your loss. Theres nothing worse after waiting all them days! I dont know your incubater so i hope somebody on here will help you!
    What was your temp and humidity?

3. bantambaby7

bantambaby7 New Egg

Apr 14, 2012
    The temp was 100, it did spike to 102 & drop to 99 a couple of times and humidity 65-75 for the last 3 days. I kept humidity at 40 during first 18 with steady temp of 100. The Hova-Bator is great & easy to use, doesn't fluctuate the temp but the still air Little Giant fluctuates too mucch & I fear is the problem.

4. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    Sad .. I have had it happen a couple times like that .. The spiking to 102 is worse than dropping a bit .. Might have been a humidity issue.. If they grow to fast they cant seem to get out of the shell .. Hard as it is .. keep reading and practicing sounds like you were soo close .. Each incubator is a bit different many people have different theory's they are certain is the ONLY way .. But I read a funny story today how one woman throws a huge pan of water in her incubator to the point where you cant even see in the humidity is soo high .. she hand turns them which probably allows some of the humidity out .. but shes done it that way for 40 years !! Of course certain things will greatly increase your odds.. Better Luck next time .. : (

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by