No pips on Marans

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by robinaggie, Jul 15, 2008.

1. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Today was day 21 on my ebay/mailed Cuckoo Marans eggs. There are no pips, no peeps, no action. [​IMG] Did I read that these large eggs sometimes take longer to hatch? Please tell me they take a little longer to hatch. :|

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I don't know the answer to that question but I do know that my very large Welsummers took an extra day to hatch.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    All chicken eggs take the same amount of time...it's not set in stone they hatch out on the 21st day...can be 19 to 24 or 25 days and that sometimes means your humidity and temps have been too high or too low....

Shipped eggs are a gamble.......

4. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I have had trouble hatching Cuckoo Maran eggs. I had my humidity too high and due to the dark coating on the shell which causes small pores, they were unable to pass the water out and they didn't make it out. If I try them again, I will keep the humidity on the low side. 40-50 for incubating and 60-65 during hatch.

5. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Well that would be a great disappointment, sorry to hear. But keep it in there a little bit longer, you never know.

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Good Luck with your eggs. I had 3 batches of Black copper maran eggs. The first batch I got 1 baby. The second batch I had 3 hatch but only kept one. The last batch I lowered the humidity and kept it about 42% and then 65% for hatch and I had 13 babies hatch out of 15 eggs! They are just beautiful too. So the lower humidity makes a big difference with them.

7. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    I had read about the humidity before, so I have kept it low. The temp, however, was up and down for the first few days. I'll just wait and see. Thanks!

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:Poison...I think it makes a difference with most of them! Lower is better...sort of "less is more"...

9. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    The humidity is what killed my Wheaten Marans hatch too, so on this next one bayhorsebonne(Ebay) recommended I set it at no more than 30% humidity and then the heat at 99.5 or whatever my incubator guide says.

10. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Anything yet? [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by