No, please not AGAIN,

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alessadry, Mar 8, 2017.

1. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    So I got 17 chicken from Cackle Hatchery and it feels like deja vu. I posted about this before as it happened already once in 2011, but now here we go again. A baby chick starts crying in distress and starts scratching and pulling feathers off the neck and wing area. The neck is already without feathers. I looked at the neck area and there is no wound.... yet. If keeps on going though, I am afraid will cause a wound. I am at a loss and can't believe going through this whole ordeal again. Disrupts every other chick's sleep and if it continues it will keep us all up at night.

I can't believe this started on day one, last time it started on day 5 and another chick got it too about a week later but that one recovered after a couple of days. This just makes me sick and takes away all the pleasure of having baby chicks. Thing is, when I talked to the hatchery when it happened last time they had no clue and didn't know why it was happening. So no help from them.

I am now wondering if anybody has figured out what causes this mystery thing.

Here is the thread I posted in 2011
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/459814/baby-chick-in-distress

Any another person with a similar problem:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/460412/week-old-chick-is-scratching-and-crying-and-freaking-out

What are the odds that this happened twice to me?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Get this chick way from the other chicks
    If this is a nervous condition, you don't want it to spread thru the flock. Feathers are pure protein. Maybe this chick could have some kind system imbalance.

3. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Causes...stress, needs more protein in feed. Causes of stress... Overheating, not enough space per chick, new flock members, lost flock members, anything stressing the flock. You should have one SQ. Ft. Per chick till four weeks. 1.5 SQ. Ft. Per chick till 6 weeks. 2sq. Ft till 8 weeks.

4. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    Thank you for your help, the affected chick is 3 days old (arrived today by mail) and acts as if it's itchy. Only one side seems to bother. I doubt protein because got plenty of egg yolk with their chicken starter. Chick is not eating feathers, just pulling them out. I removed feathers removed by chick from the brooder. Heat seems perfect according to our thermometer and chicks are nicely spread out, but not against edges. I doubt it's size because when I had the exact same problem with the other chicks, the chicks continued despite having an entire box all for themselves. Stress I can see it happen, due to the trip, but in the other chick it lasted for an entire month.

5. twigcrafter

twigcrafter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2016
    Orange county NY
    This is so sad. I had a chick doing the same thing at about 3 or 4 days old. I put a thin smear of triple antibiotic cream on it's area being scratched in the morning, afternoon, and night and it stopped in about 3 days.

It was so scary watching it scratch at it's face and scream in pain then roll around and the other chicks looking like they were going to eat it if it died.

It all turned out fine. I actually forgot all about it until I saw this post.
    Hope this helps. Good luck with the chick.

6. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Mites or lice. Those were what I forgot. Net says they make chick itchy, can cause this feather problem.

7. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    Thanks, the episodes seemed to have reduced, hopefully will stay this way. The last chick I had, it didn't get better even if I applied plain neosporin or vitamin E. It was horrible and lasted until the day she went out free range. I thought she was allergic to medicated feed so this time used organic, yet this one has it too. I wonder if some chicks just have sensitive skin and the light of the brooder makes it dry and terribly itchy.

I thought about lice/mites, but can they have those from the hatchery? And then wouldn't all be affected?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by