No post

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MRNpoultry, Apr 6, 2009.

1. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Post gone

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    If it were me I would talk to them one more time and in this conversation I would tell them if it doesn't stop I will call the police and prosecute if the police feel I have justification. This needs to be nipped in the bud asap.

How close are they?

I am assuming you keeping poultry is legal where you are at.

3. MRNpoultry

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    It is legal to keep chickens were we live. We live out in the county, there are farms all around us. They ain't real close to our house, there is a field between our houses.

4. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Take photos, document everything, Call the police. It will probably get worst. How old are these people and where are the parents?To me any one who can hurt animals for fun make me sick. Keep your camera with you. I have even thought of the small survalience system. A sign "SMILE FOR THE CAMERA". They just never know where the cameras are. There are even button hole cameras.

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    OK, then they need to MYOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the parents need to get control of the little trouble makers.

Call the cops and file a report of vandalism. Destruction to your property, the coops and birds.

Just like stray dogs I have no tolerance for kids or adults for that matter that destroy other peoples property intentionally.

6. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    I think I would call the police because it is illegal for them to be shooting YOUR chickens with a pellet gun. I would research the laws in your area first but there are probably a lot of different things the police could charge them with i.e. cruelty to animals , discharge of a firearm in a residential area etc. Sadly with teens and about to be teens they may have to learn a very hard lesson ( court dates , stern judges and/or fines ) to make them stop. I certainly would not tolerate anyone harassing my chickens.....

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

When guns, whatever type, are shot toward someone's property and/or buildings, that's when you call the cops. You are in danger yourself.

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    YES, call the cops, talk to them, document, everything you can. I would be furious and you have every right to stop them from shooting your animals with whatever measures possible. Send them a letter telling them your lawyer will talk to them if nec.

9. MSHEN

MSHEN Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Monticello,MS
    By all means, talk tp the police! I had a similiar problem with a teen age boy in our neighborhood that was shooting my horses with a BB gun. This child had a reputation of being mean spirited with animals. The police talked to him and gave him a warning and it thankfully, did not happen again. I was lucky in that his parents were supportive of me. This child grew up to be a nice, quiet and well mannered adult, which surprised me, as many abusive children can mature to graduate from animal abusers to real monsters. You have every right to protect your property and the lives of your animals, so report him and ask that they follow up with you afterwards. Good luck!! [​IMG]

10. MRNpoultry

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Post gone

Last edited: May 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by