No power for 24 hours

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WVduckchick, Mar 6, 2015.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Well, sadly I believe I have lost my entire hatch on Day 14. My power went off almost 24 hours ago and is not expected to come back on for maybe another 18-24 hours. It got down to -10*F last night, and I couldn't keep the bator warm enough. We now have a generator going, but I don't assume anyone sees any reason for me to plug it back in?

I did go ahead and open one egg. No movement of course, but the veins were well intact. It looks like it just died a peaceful death. I took a pic, I can post if anyone wants to see it. I'm devastated....

2. donkeydew2farms

donkeydew2farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    I am so sorry to here that . that is biggest fear.

3. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    @donkeydew2farms omg! I just candled one egg and its moving! I am beyond shocked!! Will let them be overnight and maybe candle more tomorrow. Wow!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have heard that sometimes hours-long interruptions affect the hatch, and sometimes not as badly as expected, so I would get the incubator up to speed and hope for the best. There may be issues toward the end, so just be prepared to intervene or be creative. I pray the best for you all.

5. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I forgot to mention in my last post that I went ahead and turned it back on... Just in case... Last ditch effort. And I got the surprise!
    But yes, I agree there may be issues down the road, and I do understand that. At the least, I consider it a totally skipped day, so instead of 15, I'm recounting today as 14. But I have hope!

6. Ashleyponygurl

Ashleyponygurl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2015
    I hope some babies make it!!! Please keep posting with updates :) I'll cross my fingers for you and duckies!

7. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    There can definitely be survivors

8. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Good news so far... Candled them all this morning and they all appear ok. Even the turkey! (I have 3 turkey eggs in there, 2 have been iffy for about 3 days but I haven't ruled them out yet, but really good activity on 1)
    One of the ducks was a little less active, but there was some movement. Still worried about long term effects but we're gonna find out!

9. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Here are a couple pics of the one I removed before I plugged back in.
    14 days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Power is back on, just shy of 48 hours. Whew!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by