No quacking

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by needlessjunk, Mar 19, 2015.

1. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    So my cayuga female was quite chatty when we first got here in Jan. She is laying an egg a day and healthy as far as I can tell but she has stopped quacking and talking in general. She does open her mouth and it sounds like she has lost her voice. Sound does come out and I don't know if she is just a quiet duck and doesn't feel like actually quacking or if I should be worried. Nothing is stuck in her throat and I've been giving ACV to see if that would help. She was never very loud but in the last month I have noticed that I never hear her anymore. Not that I mind because the rest of my girls make up for it but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

2. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass
    Have you swabbed her throat to see if she has grape worm? Does it sound raspy when she talks?

3. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I have not, but I though if it was gape worm you would not be able to to see it at all. She did quack a bit today though.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  4. DemonicFowl

DemonicFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2014
    South Eastern Mass

Was going off of @wynette "To check for gapeworm in chickens (I'm unsure whether this works for ducks, but it seems likely?) - per my avian vet - take a Q-tip, and GENTLY swirl it, pushing it down the throat an inch or so, then swirl coming back up; if they've got gapeworms, they will be on the q-tip.  I believe they are red, and I feel like someone has told me in the past they actually have two heads. (?)"

Is she keeping her weight, good looking poos? Could it be a pecking order thing, rejection. Well I mean if shes healthy and acting like she usually does I don't think you should worry to much. Perhaps someone on here has had similar events and they will respond.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  5. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    She seems healthy. She hasn't lost any weight since I got here in Jan. She is a smaller duck though and I can feel her breast bone but I can feel it on my runners a well. So I don't think she is underweight.

6. seashoreduck

seashoreduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    Once you check for worms and other physical ailments, it might be good to check the psychological. Ducks are very sensitive creactures so changes in the enviroment, food, etc seem entirely capable of sending them into a tailspin. I had 3 mallards and the one who got hand fed was the loudest, most obnoxious duck that you'd ever met. The female was rather quiet (could quack but never did) after a very rebellious and quacky "teenage" years.

General knowledge indicates that females are the noisest...but not always....as long as your duck isn't in pain you should be ok.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Gapeworms live in the trachea, *not* the esophagus, so one cannot check for them by swabbing their throats. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Change in vocalizations can be a sign of illness. Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

9. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Thank you, that's what I thought. Any sure fire way to diagnose gape worm?

10. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Not really. Wouldn't there be a drop in egg production or does that come after they are already well on their way being sick?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by