No, really, my LAST Bantie purchase...really....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amamaofmany, Apr 30, 2009.

1. amamaofmany

amamaofmany Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    Thanks to Amarook ( [​IMG] )I now have two more banties. We were standing by a bin at our local TSC. We started talking chickens and ducks, mentioned the BYC and then realized we'd PMd each other over guinea pigs! Anyway, I saw a little silkie (think its a partrige) and a little yellow thing with a black V on its head and some pretty little black spots here & there, and just wanted those two - and she gave me the chance!

I'd like to know what those of you here think it is?

I've looked all over the Ideal banties pics, and the closest I can figure is an EE - it is so adorable! Its legs don't look particularly green, though.

Any other ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The little silkie I think is a partridge.
    [​IMG]

And from the last batch, I have one mystery chick that is feathered in some and hope someone can eye-dentify:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure if its wings would be called laced or barred - they are brownish in the center and outlined in white.

Edited to include a HUGE THANK YOU to Amarook for including the new chicks with her purchase! She's a sweetheart - and not just because she indulged my compulsion for banties. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. Terry

Terry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lexington,NC
    Funny title lol [​IMG]
    ss I cannot help you identify them but just had to tell you they are so adorable! LUCKY YOU! now they need mates [​IMG]

3. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    [​IMG]

My duckies are settling in the indoor brooder. My chicks are in the brooder outside.

I'm leaving to pick up Jeff soon. I wonder what he's going to say about my Banties. lol [​IMG]

It was nice to meat you! [​IMG]

4. amamaofmany

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    Quote:I'm glad your adorable little ducks and the chicks (all of them) are getting cozy & comfy! You can blame me for the banties! I was oozing and cooing and going ga-ga over them enough to tempt anyone! Jeff can come up here and comiserate with Bill about their compulsive women and how we should be banned from the Bantam Bin at Certain Stores during Chicken sales! A beer or two and they'll feel much better.

It was nice to meet you too! [​IMG]

5. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    The first chick looks like a Old English. I have one that looked like that as a baby.
    The second looks like a silkie.
    I don't have much idea of what the third one is though...tricky

I love banties too. Something magical about 'em. When I get chickens, I usually get 5-6 so you have better control than me. Lol.

6. amamaofmany

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    The first chick looks like a Old English. I have one that looked like that as a baby.

Oh, that would be awesome! It really is a tiny, darling little thing! What color, do you think? I've looked up some on feathersite, but none really seem to fit the description.

The second looks like a silkie.

Yep! Black feet & five toes!

I don't have much idea of what the third one is though...tricky

Ah, maybe someone will have a clue. Actually, I have a few others I'm not quite sure about, but they don't have any real distinguising characteristics. (like, its chick-feathers are yellow and it has white wings. Could be anything at this point.)

I love banties too. Something magical about 'em. When I get chickens, I usually get 5-6 so you have better control than me. Lol

Ooooooooooo I don't think so!

I first bought 6, that was a week ago, then at the end of that week I went in for prices and another waterer for my standards, and bought 4 more banties....and today two more...

No, I wouldn't say I have any real control except that I had just better not aim my van toward the town that has the TSC any more this year! I'm sending my husband, who is utterly immune to adorable for feed next time we're out, or I may come home with the whole bin!

(Him: Did you buy more chicks?
    Me: Uh, No, honey.
    Him: Where did all these tiny chickens come from then?
    Me: Mmmmmm----- I think they are mathematical geniuses.
    Him: Mathematical what?
    Me: Sure. They mulitiply by dividing....) [​IMG]
    Him: [​IMG]

Edited because my grammar is pathetic this time of night.
    [​IMG]And edited a second time, because I thought of a question and was too lazy to start another box.

7. Riocotesei

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    Lol, well that sounds like me.
    I keep going back for more.. and then I go again...and get more. Lol. Whenever I get extra money, I buy chickens...it's really bad. [​IMG]
    I'll try and get a picture up for you of my old english, she's soo cute. They look like little eagles. She is 4 months old now. [​IMG]
    Here is her when she was little:
    [​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If that's what your oEGB looked like as a baby, then I'll say OEGB as well. They come in so many different colors, it's hard to tell!

I do believe your silkie is partridge.

And I think chick #3 is also Old English. It looks to me like it could be a splash, though not sure. What color is it's down? I hatched some splash chicks last fall, and they were all a very light grey color as chicks. I'll find some pics of my splash dutch babies, they're the same color, just a little bit different shape.

Here's one that is newly hatched (still wet)
    [​IMG]

One in front and 2 facing back at 1-2 days old
    [​IMG]

And one of the above at about 4 weeks old
    [​IMG]

9. amamaofmany

Oct 22, 2008
    west virginia
    Lol, well that sounds like me.
    I keep going back for more.. and then I go again...and get more. Lol. Whenever I get extra money, I buy chickens...it's really bad.
    I'll try and get a picture up for you of my old english, she's soo cute. They look like little eagles. She is 4 months old now.
    Here is her when she was little:

Riocotesei:

Wow! It does look a lot like mine! Please post a picture of yours if you have the chance - I'd love to see it.

I almost lost the little thing last night. My 6 year old got out of bed in the night (he has mild autism so he is like a younger child) and was playing with them. I caught him once at 3 am and sent him back to bed, and chances are real good he got up again later. He tipped their water & flooded the brooder.

Fortunately, I had a bed-pad on the bottom, which soaked up the water and kept them all from drowning. But this little peep was soaked to the bone & was dying of hypothermia. My husband got up at 6 am and saw all the wet chicks and this fragile little thing dying on the bottom, got me up & I spent the next half hour holding it under the heat lamp and drying its feathers out. It looks fine now! But I'm keeping my eyes on it to see if the stress caused any other problems.

And I think chick #3 is also Old English. It looks to me like it could be a splash, though not sure. What color is it's down?

shelleyd2008:

Your chicks are really pretty!

The down on mine is pale yellow. It has a splotch of mahogany brown behind its head, and the rest of the coloring is black splotches and spots. My daughters think the black V on its forehead looks like a tiarra and want to give it a Royal English name!

Do OEGB lay eggs pretty well? I understand that many of the banties are more for pets and because they are pretty and sweet than because they are efficient layers.

Just curious about how often they lay. The eggs must be so tiny!

Edited because I used italics instead of the quotes button. Ever notice that everything I post ends up edited? Maybe someday I'll learn to hit 'preview' first....

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  10. Riocotesei

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    I got a picture of her today she's very sweet. [​IMG]
    I've heard that Old English are good layers and they are good broodies. These are my first OEGB's and they are only 4 mos. old.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by