1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No regrets on this grand chicken adventure

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kcstepp92, Nov 12, 2016.

1. kcstepp92

kcstepp92 New Egg

Nov 12, 2016
    Hi, I'm just one more chicken newbie pecking around searching for information. I've never owned any kind of bird before, just dogs, cats and rodents. My hubby and I bought a one acre lot here in Texas just outside of a small town where we've been busy clearing all this ridiculous cactus and bee brush to make some semblance of a yard for the small (600 sq ft) home we've been putting together. We had always dreamed of adding chickens to our small homestead but up until a month ago, it's just been an idea. An idea like one day I'd like to visit England or one day I'd like to add another tiny home. Then one day we decided to goof off in tractor supply. We had literally just returned that morning from probably the last cruise we will ever be able to take when we heard cheeping coming from the back of the store. I wandered over and saw three tubs crammed full of chicks peeping their heads off. Next thing I know, I've got two boxes full of what I was told were leghorns and red sex links. I had no idea about pros and cons of those two breeds and for a while I kept calling the leghorns longhorns and the red sex links were called red somethings. All I knew is that I wanted laying hens and hoped I was being hooked up. I grabbed a young salesman that seemed knowledgeable and had him load me up with heat lamps, tubs, food, feeders and waterers and a chicken book. I unpacked everything, dumped chick food at least twice trying to get their feeders ready, and doused my floor with water while juggling their waterers. Pine chips everywhere. By the end of the first set up it looked like a coop had exploded in my poor tiny house. Thank god the floors aren't finished. It's been six weeks since that day and I have since added some Cornish rock x's, a leghorn rooster (I got because he as neat), and 6 pullets I thought were red sex links but now I'm just confused as to what they are (and which led me here). I have learned a ton in the last six weeks and am the proud mama of 24 chickens. I have to say I am absolutely addicted to these chickens and have loved every second. I am really really thankful for this site as it has helped me avoid some problems and helped me solve others. I hope one day I can be knowledgeable enough to share some lessons I've learned (some the hard way) as I journey through this completely new territory. New chicken owner out!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! So your chicken adventures have begun, congratulations :clap
    I have loved reading your intro and your new place sounds fab. Have you stopped by the learning Center? Lots of great articles there ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help and very friendly.
    Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased our joined our community! Glad you have no regrets. Chickens are very satisfying to raise. Glad you are enjoying yours! Best wishes and thank you for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you know Cornish x are meat birds? they eat constantly and grow fast to processing age ( about 10 weeks I believe). If they are not slaughtered early, their growth outpaces their organs and their legs. Either they die of heart attack, stroke, or their legs just give out.

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    sorry for duplicate posts, submit button is misbehaving yet again

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us and I hope you make yourself at home here!

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. You've had some valuable advice above - especially from drumstick diva.

10. kcstepp92

kcstepp92 New Egg

Nov 12, 2016
    yep! We got them so we could harvest their meat. We plan on processing them in a few days. I'm ready and nervous even though the hubby is handling the scary parts. We are trying to be more self sufficient and we have one check of a learning curve. The Cornish we have are about eight weeks old now and are huge. And when I say huge I mean like small turkey sized. We didn't learn until a couple weeks ago that you should feed them for only 12 hours and then take their food up. One of them ended up going completely lame for a while and we weren't sure she would make it. We ended up healing her enough so that she can at least limp around. We thought to just process her early but I wanted to play chicken vet. These Cornish has been interesting to say the least!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by