no Rhyme or Reason

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by loweman8, Aug 17, 2011.

1. loweman8

loweman8 New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    Hello all , new to the website and first time chicken owner. I have learned so much from this website and must say I am totally hooked on keeping chickens. I have just recently put together a flock of 12 birds( 8 barred rocks, 2 buff orpingtons, and 2 light brahmas) all the birds are between a year and two years old. all were said to be laying when I got them. I have had them just short of a month. My question is this, I have got just a little over 100 eggs so far, I'm totally not complaining, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how they lay. I got 2 eggs today , 3 yesterday, 5 the day before, then one day 1 then my best day of 8. I guess It averages out to 4 or 5 a day. They all lay brown eggs and the brahmas are said to lay pinkish flesh colored eggs which I'm getting off and on. Is it going to just take time to get into a rhythm or is there a problem that i'm just not seeing . they have a large coop and large caged in out door run. They dont free range. so I know they arent hidining them and I see no evidence of them eating them any info is very much appreciated thanks

2. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    What is their diet like?

3. loweman8

loweman8 New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    they self feed on layer feed, cracked corn, oyster shell, grass pulled from around yard, stale bread as a treat and water

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    How snake-proof is your setup? My folks started getting erratic egg counts and discovered that they had a huge snake living in the shed with the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by