No rocking or peeping starting day 21

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hoosierchickens, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    My eggs are due to hatch today through tomorrow. I'm not seeing any movement or hearing any peeping. I candled them last Thursday and things looked good with darkness, the air pocket, and veins. Should I be concerned? This is my first hatch and I'm hovering.

2. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Did you have any temperature fluctuations during incubation?
    Was the temperature lower than it should be?

Low temperatures cause development to slow down, causing late hatches
    which may be the case here. Give them a couple more days, If they don't

hatch today, it doesn't mean they're dead [​IMG]

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Hopefully we're not in the same boat.

Mine are due today.

Because of all the people who are terrible influences here (ha ha!) I gave in and candled last night. It did not look like good news. The air cells were fine, and from the one angle, the eggs looked totally full. However, if I twisted it around, you could see they were only about 1/2 full. I thought i could see some veining, but there was also weird floaty stuff. And there was no movement. So, I'm pretty sure mine passed a few days ago.

I hope yours are just a little slow.

4. Hoosierchickens

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    Sorry to hear that Sphinx. I you have some suprise you anyway. It would be a real bummer to get this far on a first hatch and get nothing. The kids will be disappointed too although I've been preparing them for worst case scenario. I have had some fluctuation early on but probably more low than high and the extreme highs have only been as high as 104 for only a handful of minutes and I've had a heck of a time getting the humidity up. I've had the temp steady for the last couple of weeks and haven't disturbed them except to add water, to candle three times, and to remove the auto turner. I'm thinking they are late. The temps have been a degree or three too low at times. I guess we'll see. Oh, the temp did get up to 107 right after I removed the auto turner but it was very brief and I removed the lid immediately for a few minutes and turned it down and dialed it back in. I'm not a big fan of this incubator. It's very finicky.

5. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I really hope yours works out, Hoosierchickens. With your fluctuations, maybe yours are just behind.

I have a Brinsea Mini Advance, so it's essentially the crockpot of incubators. So, I don't know what humidity was because of that, and I've relied on the temperature gauge on the incubator for temp, which has shown it to be totally steady. Unfortunately, the turner on it is broken, and I decided to try one hatch of manually turning before I sent it back for repair. So, mine has been opened 4x a day for the first 18 days to be turned.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

7. Hoosierchickens

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    Still nothing. At what point should I consider it a bust? They were due to hatch Thursday into Friday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by