no roo for a month... fertile eggs? GREAT UPDATE-BABIES!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mmaddie's mom, Sep 28, 2010.

1. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a hen who has gone broody sitting on about a dozen eggs. I lost my top roo about a month ago and only have immature roos with the flock. What are the chances that these eggs are still fertile? I'd love a few more babies from my lost roo!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  2. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    No mature rooster for a month?

The eggs are almost certainly infertile. I'd say certainly but weird things happen in the universe...

3. mmaddie's mom

Thanks anyway. [​IMG]

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Um that roo's seed could still be there. It's not unheard of. I wouldn't bet on them being infertile at all. Candle them!

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

1 month is unlikely, 3 weeks would have been more likely, 2 would have been mostly, 1 would have been certainly. Usually the sperm can survive 2-3 weeks, just decreasing fertility. More than three and that's what you usually do to prevent "cross contamination" if you're switching roosters.

6. mmaddie's mom

Quote:That is my plan... couldn't hurt. But I didn't want to get my hopes up too much.
    I need an excuse to get a new powerful flashlight... someone mentioned one on BYC that was a name brand that could be found @ WalMart... a bit pricey for a flashlight, but I NEED it for candling, right? Does anyone remember the name of this wonderful tool?

7. mmaddie's mom

Quote:I won't get my hopes up, but will try candling. Thanks.

8. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    mmaddie's mom :

Quote:That is my plan... couldn't hurt. But I didn't want to get my hopes up too much.
    I need an excuse to get a new powerful flashlight... someone mentioned one on BYC that was a name brand that could be found @ WalMart... a bit pricey for a flashlight, but I NEED it for candling, right? Does anyone remember the name of this wonderful tool?

I use a Mini MagLite with an LED bulb..around $15 at Lowe's. Get the one with the rubber end to fit over the lens. It's PERFECT for candling eggs!​

9. mmaddie's mom

Thanks, Cindiloohoo !

10. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    I think the flashlight youre thinking of was the Coleman something or other lol. It had the highest lumens that I found when I looked at them the other day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by