1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

no room for a ramp... chicken "steps" ???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by katydidit, May 2, 2011.

1. katydidit

katydidit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    We are in the final stages of finishing the run.... the girls were recently introduced into the coop from the brooder- and in the meantime they are "cooped" up until we get things finished (they are 5 weeks old). The coop is 5'x3.5', and will go against the back fence on our sideyard, inside the run (its 8' wide, and we will be putting in a redwood gate 8' from the back fence, so a 8x8' run).

The coop will be in the corner, meaning that we have 3' from the pop door to the side of the house. I do have a 36" human access door in the front, but we have already cut the pop door on the side (for the time being, we have a sheet of plywood blocking them in). I know that most chickens can and do just fly down from the coop, ours is 2' off the ground. But unless we have a serious incline on our chicken ladder (which would be far more than a 45 degree angle) we cant fit a chicken ramp from their pop door [​IMG]
    Poor planning on our part, lol.

I have two options:
    1. keep the human access door open 24/7 and build a ramp from there. The coop is INSIDE the run, so no threat with predators etc.
    2. Build "steps" for them to fly down to. Do a 12"x12" deck right at the pop door, and then another step 12" below. Has anyone done this? Is it too complicated for them to get back up?

I would appreciate any advice, I'm new to raising chickens and cursing my poor planning decision, but if anyone has had this delimma (pictures would be GREAT) I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks!

2. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    I am not sure that I understand your situation correctly but I had the issue of not enough room to do a normal ramp in my run. I opted to build a ramp that extended down from the door about 2 feet, then let it land on a pedestal of sorts, then turned the remainder of the ramp ninety degrees to finish the incline. Good luck.

3. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    How about do the deck outside the pop door then a ramp off it running along the side of the house instead of perpendicular to it?you could make it movable or hinge it some how if it will be in the way of human access needs so it could be moved outta the way if necessary.

4. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Quote:[​IMG]
    That or close up the pop door & cut a hole in the human door.
    Chickens do steps, or a couple of platforms. Or even a ladder. They have wings, and they aren't too fussy. Usually. [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh heavens, 2' is nothing -- just put in a stepstool kind of thing 12" high, or even just a good sized landing platform at 18" or so, and they will be *fine*. Chickens hop real well [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

1 person likes this.
  6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Two feet is nothing to a chicken.

The only reason for a ramp would be for very small chicks to get up and down.

If you think they still need something at this age, just toss a concrete block or something under the door for them to hop on. Once they are older they will probably just skip using it.

7. katydidit

katydidit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2011
    I will post a couple pictures in the AM tomorrow to make sure, but thanks for the input so far! I think a makeshift "ramp" along the house would do for now, but photos always make it easier to judge (and I get to show off DH carpentery skills [​IMG])

8. BellaSaff

BellaSaff Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    Hi, Did you go with a ramp along. I am wanting to make a ramp for chicks to get in and out along the nest boxes
    Bella

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by