No Roos Allowed but Feel Terrible

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by devora, Aug 27, 2011.

1. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

We have always had an "all girls" flock and have a roo we must dispatch. The last time this happened the guy was very aggressive and even tho it wasn't easy, it was doable. And this new issue is doable, but, man, this roo so sweet. He crows (not OK) and is, in general, a Good Guy. But it's an All Girls club and he must go (I have a woman who can't wait to eat him!) and I knew this coming.

My post is only about the sadness of losing a "good" bird. If the circumstances were different, someone would be thrilled to have a Cuckoo Maran roo w/ good manners.[​IMG]

Just wondering if you've ever had to cull knowing that the bird was, in another chicken universe, a keeper? I hugged him and gave him extra treats and chatted w/ him, I'm sure many of you have been there (or am I totally loopy?!) No suggestions needed for finding a new home/keeping him, etc., it's a rational culling for my flock and I expected it (even w/ sexing ya get males), I'm only pining the loss of a good animal. Too corny?

Yeah, pretty corny. But he's so polite. Bye bye Jules. (Originally named Julia after Julia Child b/c s/he seemed way too tall for the norm...I love to cook so was hoping against hope s/he was a just a fast grower and not a boy!)

I know I won't be yielding the knife this time, but it's still difficult, oddly.

2. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    [​IMG]

Have you thought about posting him free to a good home? I'm sure there is someone who would love to have him.

3. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    I can relate. i had a raccoon reach through the cage and grab a leg of one of my pullets. The leg was so badly damaged I had to kill her. she was pretty and so scared. (The pullets are a shy crowd this time around) I waited for two days just getting up the nerve. Finally I decided that waiting was more cruel then putting her out of her misery. So, she died day before yesterday. It was just sad.

4. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    I'm with Bgelber, there are so many people out there who have to cull mean roosters, the nice ones are definitely keepers. I would try to rehome him.

5. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    I've found that there just aren't that many out there right now looking for roosters. I'm going to miss my favorite too.

6. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I would try to find him a home. Might be worth a try...

7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Try posting on Craigslist.worth a try

8. Needycowgirl

Needycowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Spokane Valley
    I put my sweet roos on Craigslist and found them great homes. I would only eat the mean ones!

9. nwfl

nwfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Northwest Florida
    Yes, definitely put your Maran on craigs list and post notices at feed stores. If I were near you I'd be at your place asap.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by