No Roo's but egg looks fertalized?? Need advice, first time chicken owner

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lfuller28, Nov 26, 2013.

1. lfuller28

lfuller28 New Egg

May 7, 2013
    Hi All,

I am a first time chicken owner as of March, and on Oct 31st I bought 11 laying Hens and some eggs are looking like they are fertilized due to the bulls eye. Is this possible? Do I have a disguised Roo in the bunch? Any advice appreciated! Thank you in advance. See pic below.
    [​IMG]

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    It looks normal to me but I'm no expert on bull eyes. How old are the hens? They may be fertile from where ever you got them from. If I'm right they can be fertile for a while after the rooster has done his stuff, but I don't think a month after.

3. lfuller28

lfuller28 New Egg

May 7, 2013
    The hens are all over 1yr old, I was wondering how long they could be fertile after mating? My sister-in-law has chickens and took one look at them and said- your eggs are fertile! I thought it was impossible and went to the threads! :) Thanks.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I know that fertility is only supposed to last for a couple of weeks, however, I swear that I still had fertile eggs 2 months after getting rid of all my roos.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm seeing a white spot but not a bulls-eye on that pic. I don't know if it's just the pic--it's hard to take good pics of fertile eggs!

If you're really concerned, post pics of your birds. We've definitely had folks on this board sold young cockerels as hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by