no roost for chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jadude, Sep 4, 2008.

1. jadude

jadude Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    sc
    my coop design is a triangle attatched to a ruch so there is no ROost area. what is the big deal about roosting because my girls dont mind sleeping sitting down at all

2. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    A few of mine sleep on a hay bale. The problem is they POOP there, too. If chickens roost, then the poo drops below & they do not wallow in it. I wish I had known that. I am having a heck of a time retraining my hay bale chickens. Best to have chickens up on a roost.
    Just a thought.

3. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Your chickens have no roost and they sleep on the floor, that doesn't mean if they had a roost they wouldn't use it! They like to be up high when they sleep, that's their instinct, be high enough to be out of reach of predators (faulty logic sometimes, but it's what their ancestors did). The minute we put the roosts in the coop they all roosted on the very top rung. They sit on that top run (a 2x4 with the 4" side up) all in a row, it's a riot to see.

4. RoxyOtis

RoxyOtis Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Modesto, CA
    I have a silkie cross and she has NEVER slept on a roost, and one has always been available to her.

5. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Some chickens like to roost, other do not. Mine LOVE THEM. They can't get high enough on the roost.

the roost is a safe place. A dry place off the ground. In the cold it's nice to be off the ground.

6. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I provide roosts because I would feel guilty if I didn't try to provide them everything I could that is natural to them.. simulated natural environment is my goal

I've "heard" that too much laying down can rub off feathers, although soft bedding doesn't seem to be a big problem

Also sleeping in their poop... I always look forward to the day the chicks get off the floor and poop in the designated area.. it's so much cleaner that way in their "play" areas

7. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I have to add mine have had roosts since they came home at two days old. They've always had access to one so they learned early on to use it - they didn't sleep on it until they went out into the coop, but the two roosts I had for them in the brooder were used all day long. Up -down - up - down [​IMG]

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I understand that silkies are more likley to sleep on the ground. Because of their feather structure they have a tough time getting up to high roosts.

9. tamemeg

tamemeg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I'm putting a roost in today, and it will be about 5ft up. Do I have to put a ramp for them to get up to it? They are about 4 months old and have not had a roost yet....i'm new to chickens [​IMG] Will I have to pick them up and put them up to show them? Thanks, Pam

10. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes and Yes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by