no rooster but 1 hen lays a egg that looks like a baby chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pasturepoop, Oct 15, 2013.

1. pasturepoop

pasturepoop New Egg

Oct 15, 2013
    I have a hen in my flock that seems to lay a egg at least once a month that looks like a very small baby chick inside. I haven't had a rooster for over 5 months but we have had 4 eggs like this & I picks my eggs every day. Any ideas why this is happening. Have never had this happen before.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] What do you mean by the egg looking like small baby chick inside, do you have pictures?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Look up blood spots and meat spots on this link. I’ll bet that’s what you are seeing. They are pretty common. The big commercial egg companies electronically candle their eggs to find things like this before the customer sees it.

Egg Quality Handbook
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

Where are my manners. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  4. pasturepoop

pasturepoop New Egg

Oct 15, 2013
    Thank you for such a quick response. I looked it up & do have a couple that look like stones in them (meat spots I know now) but none of my hens are old. The oldest in my flock is under 2. But the eggs that I have look like a deformed baby chick in the yolk part but the white is normal. I have never seen this in all the yrs with chickens. Any other ideas?

No I don't have any pictures never thought about taking any. Sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by