No rooster, but losing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dhansen, Jun 17, 2008.

1. dhansen

dhansen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2007
    I have 16 hens and no roosters. They are free range, although have a coop where their food and water is. Several of the hens are almost bare, with no feathers on their back and wings. One has a naked belly, but looks good otherwise. All are laying eggs and haven't slowed down. I haven't seen any pecking, but I don't watch them 24/7 either. Any ideas?

2. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    you might have a mite problem or if hens are older they might be going into a moult, but the one with bare belly sounds like she is going broody.

but I might be wrong.

Mindy

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Barebelly may be trying to go broody; that's one of the signs.

The other birds may be picking and eating the feathers off each other.

4. dhansen

Aug 26, 2007
    So....What do I do about it if they are pulling each other's feathers off? I've never seen them do it. I did use some dust stuff that was supposed to help with mites.
    Debbie

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    If they are eating feathers I think it is a vitamin deficiency. I wish I knew what to tell you to do about it though.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    you can check for mites and lice too. Look by their vent and under their wings. Blow the feathers out of the way or spread with you finger and look closely. Another place they like to congregate is by the head.

Also you could pluck a feather (body) and look at the shaft that is closest to the body. If the feather down is all crusty and globbed together than that is a sign of mites. Then you would need to treat for these little creatures again.

7. dhansen

Aug 26, 2007
    Thanks,
    I'll try that and go from there.
    debbie

8. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I've seen some funky looking chickens that were just molting. Do you think that's what it is??

9. dhansen

Aug 26, 2007
    These chickens literally have no feathers on their wings and backs. No blood, just no feathers either. Very strange.
    debbie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by