no rooster but...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vclark321, Aug 29, 2011.

1. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    I only have 3 hens, but in the absence of a rooster will the top hen in the pecking order take over watching out for the rest of the flock? My oldest hen seems to be on guard and watching out as the others free range and scratch. Is that part of the process? Thanks!

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes and I've read that they can even start to crow and try to mount the other hens and stop laying eggs, it sounds crazy but people claim to have had it happen.

3. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    Thank you for the good info! How am I going to explain this one to city officials?!? LOL! Can I say she is gender confused? Or should I just have them feel her up for dangly bits? That would certainly make MY day! I am still hoping she will be the first to lay an egg. Judging by comb color, she is the reddest so far. And they start to lay about 20 - 24 weeks? I have 2 weeks to go at the least. Waiting, waiting, waiting. Thanks again!

4. kreolechick

kreolechick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    East Mountains
    I have a beautiful RR hen that loves to play rooster with the others, the first time I saw that I just about fell off my chair!

5. scfire

scfire New Egg

Apr 23, 2010
    Quote:I have a hen that does indeed crow. Boy she is going to be confused in a few days when the new rooster shows up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by