1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

no rooster but...........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickachickawhat, May 25, 2008.

1. chickachickawhat

chickachickawhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    hartford county ct
    i have a broody hen but there is no rooster she wont come outside and she is under 1 egg. aha

2. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    unless you don't mind her doing this, you can take her egg away and try to pull her out of her broodiness. i know you can put her in a cage to do it, it may only take a few days.

if you go full term - 21 days, the egg will most likely have some level of disease - mold or something really smelly.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My hen also went broody and I have no rooster. I had a sweet BYC'er send me some fertile eggs in the mail and put them under her. I'm hoping for at least a couple of chicks to hatch.

If you don't want her to hatch chicks (meaning you don't find fertile eggs somewhere), she will eventually quit sitting but that could literally take a month or longer!!

Some people have had good luck continuing to physically take their broody off the nest everytime she gets back onto it.

Others have put their broody in a separate cage of some sort so she doesn't have a nest to sit on.

I don't have personal experience so that's all I can offer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by