No Rooster No egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coonriver, Aug 21, 2011.

1. coonriver

coonriver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Sac City,Iowa
    When we came back from the fair this year we took out all of the roosters that were with the egg layers and now they are not laying any eggs at all.before we had 3 roosters with about 20 hens but no roosters with them anymore.I know you don't need a rooster for them to lay eggs but do you think they stopped because there is not a rooster with them anymore? the hens are anywhere from 6 months old to 3 years old.or do i have something getting in and eating the eggs? Mike

2. Meghalu

Meghalu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    The Okanagan
    If your lack of eggs corresponds with a spike in heat in your area, it could be the heat. Or a predator could be stealing/eating the eggs (squirrel, snake?). Or the girls might be eating them. Or they might be laying elsewhere in a hidden spot. Lots of possibilities! I guess you could eliminate some of the guesswork if you could watch your girls for a morning to see if anyone is laying, or you could maybe set up a camera in the henhouse to watch for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by