1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

no rooster, want fertile eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zgrower, Jul 12, 2008.

1. zgrower

zgrower Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    I have a small flock of RIR's. All hens. At this time I cant have a rooster. (my old lady says if she hears crowing were having chicken for supper) However, at some point I would like to let one or two of my finest hens breed so as to pass on their desirable traits to my next batch of egg makers. I know that I need, or more accuratly my hens need, the services of a rooster to make that possible. My question is this, can I find someone with a RIR rooster, take my hens over and just leave them with the roo for a day or two. I've read that hens can lay fertilized eggs for up to 20 days after copulation. is that true? if so wow. Or when I drop this strange outsider chicken in with this sperm donor will he just attack her? probably depends lots on the rooster and his attitude. any help welcome.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You never want to just take your chickens and add another to the mix...Disease happens this way..... Adding a roo or taking the hens to someone else would mean you need to quarantine for 30 days before they should be allowed together and then another 30 days when they are separated and brought back into your flock or the other persons flock...just a good sign of flock management...Rooster and hens mating is just like any other farm animal...he can and could be rough....

It's way easier to find a nice RIR rooster...quarantine him for 30 days then place him with the flock, then find a home for him....my thoughts....

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    And be aware that when you are hatching those pretty eggs out, odds are you will get more roos than pullets since that is what you want.
    Good luck![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by