no roosters? what are the chances?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cptbahama, May 4, 2011.

1. cptbahama

cptbahama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    We started raising chickens in February. I acquired a few chicks each week over the course of about 4 weeks until I had 16 chicks. The oldest ones are about 12 weeks old, the youngest about 8. I'm seeing no signs of a rooster. But my eye is untrained. It just seems the odds are pretty slim that at least one didn't turn out to be a rooster. Which is good by the way, we didn't really want one.
    A local chicken farmer told me to watch for aggressive behavior and spur development on the legs. I see some aggressive behavior (mostly in the Ameraucanas and Wyandottes) but nothing too crazy. What are some other things to watch out for?

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    if you have roosters, you will see signs soon. Look at the neck feathers, if they are long and stringy then then might be a roo. It's nice to have chicks the same age to compare with. My roos all seem to stand differently...a little more upright and I have seen little mock cock fights between the roos when they are young, but sometimes the pullets join in so that's not a sure fire way to tell.
    depending on the breed will depend how soon and easy you can tell. I had a wyandotte roo last year that I had even picked out a girls name for that turned out to be a roo. I couldn't tell until he was almost 6 months old. My mutt breed (phoenix cross) matures early and they start crowing around 12-14 weeks. good luck....hope you have no roos!

3. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    You can also look at saddle feathers. The Roos will be pointed and flow down while a pullets will be more rounded and point back. The comb and wattles will be red sooner and larger. If you could post some pics I'm sure a lot of people will be able to help more! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by