no scales on feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by warren, Oct 12, 2007.

1. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    One of my chickens has no scales on her feet. I am sure that she had some when I got her 6 weeks ago. I have been putting vaseline on her feet for a few days but I think that she has lost more scales. Her feet look pink and sore, but the skin is dry until I put the vaseline on. She is in a pen on grass most of the time, but I let her out to scratch in the garden sometimes. The other hen has her scales.
    I have a picture, but don't know how to get it on here.

2. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
  3. warren

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    thanks davecash. if I have done it right there should be a picture if you click on
    or type in in if it does not work
    if you click on the picture it makes it larger.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  4. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    wow thats nasty lookiung, is anyone pecking at his scales?

5. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    there are probably mites underneath her scales. I think someone else posted something like this, they gave the product name. I'll do a search

6. warren

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    Thanks davecash and rosyposyosy. I will keep on with the vaseline and perhaps try cooking oil too. My two do go where wild birds go so this may be a long term problem.
    I think that my hen may be itchy and picking off her scales. The other does not seem to be affected, but I will treat her too.
    I have a problem handling my birds, but I have found that if I put a bowl of her favourite seed on a table and put her next to it she will stand still for a few minutes while I do the job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by