No sense to get out of the rain

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Jilara, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    The Big Storm came in last night, and my teenaged pullets (17 weeks) are huddling in the rain by the fence. It's not that they don't have a place to get out of the rain. I have a couple of sheltered nest boxes, and made an A-frame coop out of an old road barricade with boards and perches inside, and protected by plastic and boards on the outside. But do they use it? Noooo...

I went out this morning to find wet and bedraggled pullets in the corner, apparently the most sheltered from the wind. I put an old doormat over the wire on the top to help keep the rain off, but I'm flummoxed as to why they don't seek inside shelter. The two polish look especially pathetic, with their little topknots all wet and bedraggled. Talk about not enough sense to get out of the rain...

2. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    same here...been raining for days... my 17 wk pullets will not get out of the rain either, and believe me, they have many many options....... now I am supposing that they just like it??? !!

I have noticed that a lot of the water does not penetrate. Altho we have had lots of rain, and they look wet in places...when I pick them up they are dry under the 'hard' /external feathers

3. ChickensInTheNorthWoods

ChickensInTheNorthWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North East CT
    My chickens love playing in the rain - especially my Polish hens - when their top hats get all wet they can actually see what is going on around them!

4. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    hahha! i thought mine where the only ones that like doing that LMAO! thank god im not the only one [​IMG]

Quote:

5. chicksrcool

chicksrcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    We had misty rain all day and they just played around in it. I do worry that they can actually get colds or something! I thought I heard them making a sneezing noise so I ushered them into dryer ground whether they liked it or not [​IMG]

6. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    My guys hang out under the coop or inside it unless they see me. Then they come running out and get wet. I think they expect me to make it stop. lol

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  7. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Our raining season is on its way and its dry now so the water will be flowing when the rain comes.

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:I know what you mean, my silkies and show girl do the same. My son says that they have "Liberty Spikes"! Too funny!

9. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    Fortunately, this has been a warmish rain, but whoo, we got a real monsoon here. First rain of the season, and waaay early. We got over two inches yesterday, and some places much, much more. I'm just glad I put the chickies inside, besides the fact they were flying and trying to get out of the run. Soggy showgirl and silkie chicks, not a good thing. I need more inside space for chooks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by