1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No serenade?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rainbowlake mama hen, Nov 22, 2010.

1. rainbowlake mama hen

rainbowlake mama hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    I'm just wondering. We have two red sex-links that have been laying for about a month and we have a 3 month OP hen and a OP roo. I've never heard this egg laying song I keep reading about. I've been out there while they are laying but never before when they go into the box. I've also been out there when they are done and have never heard it. Could it be that I'm just missing it? Their really pretty quiet birds all day too so maybe they're just not as verbal?

2. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    My rir hens hardly ever sing the song. My rooster will just start out of the blue and then they will start. So I don't think all hens sing it when they lay

3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    I agree.... Some of our girls sing the egg song but others don't. And sometimes all the girls sing when one lays. Go figure!!!

Larry

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree too. Some of my girls sing and some don't.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Only one of my girls sings. However, when she starts all the others (boys included) start up, too. We have 5 minutes of utter din.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by