no shavings till thursday

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beach livin', Oct 2, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    the ACE here wont get my pine shavings in until thursday. i was thinking of just getting ahold of some newspaper and having my 6yr old shred it for me [​IMG] and use in the nesting boxes. the coop should be fine without anything till then, right?! all they had in stock was cedar, and i remember a post on here about not putting cedar in the coop.

2. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    walmart & target both have pine shavings for animal bedding ,lowe's, home depot as well.Just a thought.

3. beach livin'

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    Quote:no target, or lowes here. and walmart and hd are 45 minutes away. i did see a little bundle of something for rabbit hutches, but it was a small bundle. maybe ill see if they have some type of hay that i could use for the moment till they get the shavings in.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I think the paper shavings would be fine. Some people buy pellets that are made from paper, so I think they would be safe.

5. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    I feel your pain everything is 45 min away from us in any direction. [​IMG] Groceries , gas, chicken feed. you name it needless to say every time I go into town I stock up on anything I think I might need. [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Dry leaves, shredded paper, rice hulls, ground corn cobs, pine straw, hay, straw -- and so forth. Most anything like that you can get hold of. Even cedar, if it's not really aromatic and if it's mixed in with something else (like old wood shavings.) When I get caught short I get a bale of old hay from the feed store. I think they really like it better in nest boxes, anyway. Pure, very aromatic cedar has killed young chicks in small, poorly ventilated brooders -- but pine also has some volatile oils which are not so good for them. Lots of ventilation I think is the key. I add some cedar shavings here and there to my mostly pine shavings floor.

7. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    ive had buy small bags from grocery store to clean out my chick pen in house in a pench

8. beach livin'

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    ok, i found some hay from the local produce stand(its rediculous how much i paid, but what can ya do? i live on the beach) that will work till i get the other stuff in next week. i bet yall are excited to see my construction [​IMG] dh should be home soon, and we can mount the perch and nail the wiring up!!!!

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I second dried leaves, pine needles, sand, shredded paper, dry dirt, potting mix even if you are in a real pinch. If you already are composting your chicken pen cleanings, maybe last year's is already composted and can go another round until shavings get here. Really, anything dry and plant based will do as long as it is not from poisonous plants or have toxic molds growing in it.

10. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    I've been known to use the small compacted block (intended for guinea pigs) from the super market...just make sure it's not cedar. And an incredibly expensive block from the local top-of-the-line garden shop. But, the "any organic matter" concept is fine too. My girls go ga-ga for their own old shavings that I have thrown in the compost heap. It's ever-so-much more exciting and appetizing than when it's in their coop and/or run. They've been known to scratch the pile three or four feet out of the heap on all sides! So, I end up cleaning up the shavings twice. I guess that's why they call it RE-cycling!

mm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by