No shell covering egg, just a thin membrane...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JJReine, Aug 9, 2011.

1. JJReine

JJReine New Egg

May 24, 2011
    My new layer (her 2nd egg now) is laying eggs with no shells on them. Just a thin, membrane type covering. It's soft like gel. She eats terrific, gets her scratch and plenty of heatlhy treats every single day without fail. What could she be missing in her diet? Also, ever since she started laying she's been real bossy with her 3 sisters....crazy girl...my other 3 are laying great and have nice, hard shells.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    do you offer oyster shell on the side? she is new, my first 3 eggs from different girls, all were soft and icky like that. I finally got a great egg the other day...

3. JJReine

JJReine New Egg

May 24, 2011
    I mix the oyster shell in with their morning oats, but none of them are real crazy about the oyster shell. When I got out to check, all the oats are gone and I see the oyster shell hasn't been touched! Well, it's encouraging to know that your first few were like that and got better as time went on. Thanks!

4. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    don't mix the oyster shell in, I have a small feeder attached to the wall, they know where it is and go to it when they need it...your girls aren't really laying so they don't feel the need to eat it yet. They will. I have noticed more of mine heading to the feeder more often now...that means more eggs!! [​IMG]

I give it a week or two before we both start getting more, stronger eggs....

[​IMG]

My first really good egg!

5. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Quote:My new layer's 3rd egg was like this. The two before and the ones after have been perfect.
    NO WORRIES.

6. JJReine

JJReine New Egg

May 24, 2011
    So, what you are pretty much saying is to give them the Oyster Shell separately and that they will actually know when they are suppose to eat it? Is it something they "crave"? - like a horse & it's salt lick?

7. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Yes, the oyster shells should definitely be served on the side. [​IMG] They'll eat them if they need/want them.

Also, don't give them very much scratch. At our house we call it "donuts"...for a reason. It reminds us that scratch is a treat and not much nutritional value. Kinda like donuts - they are sooooo goooooddd but soooo bad for ya!

When you say you are feeding the "oats", do you mean "layer chicken feed"? Just double checking because that is what they should be getting.

Some other ways to get them protein and calcium that they just love: yogurt, scrambled eggs and shredded cheese.

And, don't worry about the soft shelled egg(s). I bet the next one you find will be a nice hard shelled beauty!

Oh yeah, and about the bossy/crankiness...I don't know about you, but every time I produce an egg I get a little cranky - at least according to my husband! [​IMG] She'll outgrown the crankiness...she's just in her teenage, hormone overload time.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  8. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Quote:Funny! [​IMG]

9. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:#1, yes, offer on the side, they "know" when they need it...

#2, Oh yeah, and about the bossy/crankiness...I don't know about you, but every time I produce an egg I get a little cranky - at least according to my husband! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. JJReine

JJReine New Egg

May 24, 2011
    Hold the phone - are Oyster Shells and Scratch two different things?

What I mean by oats is "dried oatmeal". Before work each morning I go out to say good morning to them and that is the happy morning treat. I am feeding them the layer chicken feed.

I give them shredded cheese a few times a week, never tried scrambled eggs (sounds sacriligeous...) and will try the yogurt tonight.

I agree, they are like bad teenagers! God forbid I go sit with them while trying to read a newspaper...i think they enjoy eating the paper more than any treat I've ever given them! Just hysterical. Whod've ever think how much you can love your girls. I think about them all day long. They bring me MUCH JOY!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by