No Shell Egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jrudolph305, Sep 10, 2010.

1. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    One of our girls, every 10 to 14 days seems to lay an egg with no shell. We had seen small messes in a nesting box--maybe what looks like a few tablespoons of an egg but not yellow. We thought perhaps we had an egg eater but there were NO trace of shells at all. Tonight we let them out to free range and our 19 month Orpington stopped and discharged what looked like just an egg white. About 3 minutes later she discharged a nicely formed yolk. Any ideas??

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    try some oyster shells for calcium. Good luck! Im sure there are other things too.

3. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    I had what I believe was the same thing, the other day. My girls are just starting to lay and I went into check for eggs and there in one of the nesting boxes was a perfectly formed egg yolk and white, no shell whatsoever.

I do have crushed oyster shell available to them. I figure they'll get it figured out. [​IMG]

4. jrudolph305

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    She has been laying for the 10 months that we have had her. Also we add crushed egg shell to morning oatmeal and have the crushed oyster shell for them also. Didn't know if this is a sign of some illness. Just have to wait and see.

5. jrudolph305

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    Anybody know what this may be? She is acting listless and her comb is smaller and not as red. I can't believe she is egg bound as the white and yolk came out--no traces of blood--but no traces of any shell. She hasn't layed an egg since then. It is not a rubber or leather egg as there was no membrane at all just the white and a few minutes later a yolk. I can't find anything anywhere on this particular malady.

6. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    Quote:Sorry, I don't know. I'm a beginner and don't have much experience. Hope you find out!

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    We had a hen that passed shell-less eggs, then she passed a rough looking lump. It looked like fake tree bark, made of rubber. Unfortunately, she died a few weeks later.

I am not reporting this to upset anyone. It is just that there seems to be an emphasis on "cures" in this forum (and rightly so). However, we can't fix every issue our birds encounter. I hate to hear about people who are sad that they didn't do enough.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by