No Shell, only membrane and yolk??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NCchicken, Sep 21, 2010.

1. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Help, I'm new to this and found this on the poop board this morning. I was expecting an egg from my white silkie since she was the only one in the coop when I came out with treats this morning. I'm not sure if it is her or my EE who "should" be laying some time soon. There are two seprate "eggs." The bigger one has a tail like end to it and the other one looks like it has a tail on it too but broke off. When I touched it the outside had the consistency of what a contact lense feels like. You can defintly see a yolk inside of it. The brown stuff on it is the layer mash, not sure how in the world that happened. They are getting feed layer mash and oyster shells. Should I cut back on the treats for a while and see what happens? Should I be concerned or just wait it out? My silkies are laying an egg just about every other day. Thanks for looking! All suggestions and help is much appreciated [​IMG]

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    It's normal for chickens, especially new layers, to lay soft-shelled eggs. It just takes a little while for their reproductive system to get into gear - in the meantime they lay some weird looking eggs! It should resolve itself in a few days.

3. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Thank you sooooo very much for your response Southernbelle! I'm new to this and I absolutly adore my chickens and was worried about this funky egg. Thanks again for the reassurance!!![​IMG] Here's hoping it's my EE getting ready [​IMG]

4. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    feed your hens some oster sheels because of the high calcium. My hens have had the same problem. It fixes it every time.

5. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    It seems they lay the abnormal eggs on the poop board. In my case, I've had three crushed soft shelled eggs on the roost board in the mornings. The ones in the nestboxes have been fine. It's as if they don't recognize these abnormalities as an egg and just poop them out. I would watch her though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by