no shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redroosternorcal, Sep 9, 2008.

1. redroosternorcal

redroosternorcal New Egg

Sep 9, 2008
    Just looking for any answers---I have a 24 mo brown leghorn. She started laying-small eggs-for about a week. Shortly after that she "stopped laying". She free ranges so I checked all over to see if she was hiding-nothing. I figured it was irregular laying due to young age. Then yesterday I was in the run with them and noticed her in the corner looking odd-as if she were going to lay-then suddenly she dropped out and egg with no shell mabe no membrane-it was hard to tell as all the others ran to it and ate it --as if they had done it before. They have access to oyster shell, eat lay-feed, scratch, yogurt,brocolli,tomatos,etc all organic. I'm at a loss!!!!:eek:

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

24 MO? OR 24 WEEKS? sorry about the caps. grrrr. anyhow. I have heard tha the younger ones do that at firsxt. What are you feeding her?

3. redroosternorcal

redroosternorcal New Egg

Sep 9, 2008
    Sorry 24 weeks:)

She has an organic layin feed in her coop , scratch and oyster shell in the run, she free ranges(bugs,worms,etc) and they get treats everday like plain yogurt, tomatos, broccoli all organic. They are very spoiled girls. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

iT SOUNDS LIKE A TYPICAL ISSUE with young layers. I would maybe give them treats of broccoli and strawberries which are high in calcium.

5. redroosternorcal

redroosternorcal New Egg

Sep 9, 2008
    Anyone else?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:|:|[​IMG]

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Hi, and WELCOME!

This is a common problem from what I've been reading and with the heat and her being so young (24 weeks) it can be a common fluke. Long as you keep offering oyster shell and calcium type foods, I think it will stop.

7. redroosternorcal

redroosternorcal New Egg

Sep 9, 2008
    ok.thanks for the help---i'll keep my fingers crossed-thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by