No Silkies for me.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantymama, May 5, 2009.

1. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    Every time i try to hatch a Silkie I get nothing. They either candle clear or they quit. This last batch of Silkie eggs i went and picked up. Still no luck. I did get a Banty and a EE to hatch so i don't think the humidity and temp was off. I will wait untill next spring and find someone who will ship me live birds.

2. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    Check your local feed store bulletin board or local graig list. Good luck and sorry it hasn't worked out for you.

3. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    want silkies... I got them coming out of my ears if you ever in quad cities Iowa/illinois....

4. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    [​IMG]

I picked up some silkie chicks from the feed store just in case my eggs don't hatch. One employee helped me pick through the assorted bantams to pull out just silkies. If I don't get any pullets, I'm going to try MyPetChicken next.

5. Ivy

Ivy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    It's too bad that we aren't closer neighbors, I have silkies galore, and I'm afraid that I need to find homes for at least most of the roos- I live inside Sacramento city limits, and I think that even one chicken is forbidden. Silkies are great mommas, if you get started, and keep both sexes, you will find that they are wonderful at sitting, and raising babies- that is why I am in the perdicament I'm in![​IMG]

Ivy

6. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Wow - wish I had your feed store :)

The farm and feed stores around here don't go for much in the way of imagination. I was telling someone the other day that Rural King might find they had an unexpected hit on their hands if they would only carry a tub of white crested black polish - but they stick firmly to their utility breeds.

Best - exop

7. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I've found assorted bantams advertised this year at Atwoods, TSC and Orscheln's. It's a new thing, at least for our area. Prior years were RIRs, BRs, etc. Biggest thing in the last few years was Orscheln's having EEs and BOs.

The bantams were a surprise. I can only pick out 100% silkies because they are so easy, but I have definitely spotted some polish and some frizzles. Varies as to what they have in there. Study up before you go if you really want something specific. The employees in my experience have no idea whats in there and/or how to tell what anything is. The store I got mine at said they didn't have any silkies. [​IMG]

8. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Quote:You need to get hold of Debiraymond, she wants silkies bad bad bad!!!!!

9. kycowgirlchick

kycowgirlchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Find a hatchery and have you some chicks delivered to your door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by