No snakes...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by TabbyG, Mar 26, 2012.

1. TabbyG

TabbyG Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Gloucester, Virginia
    My dad made me LOL yesterday - we were talking about my chickens, and feeding them scraps when they are older. He wanted to make sure I never fed them snakes... yes, snakes. It threw me for a loop! He told me that when he was a little boy his chicken looked interested in the snake he was holding, so he picked it up and let the chicken eat it. Not long after it keeled over and died. I think it traumatized him, because he was DEAD serious. DO NOT FEED THOSE CHICKEN SNAKES, EVER he said. Haha, I just had to share!

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've seen a video of a chicken eating about a one foot long, skinny snake, and the chicken did fine with it. Just depends, I guess.

3. Creed Bennett

Creed Bennett Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    One of my RIR's ate a snake last year. I saw her run past me holding it. She finally got away from the other chickens and just swallowed it. It was a little over a foot long and a Copperhead. That's one thing I have plenty of around here. She saved me from burning up a round of ammo later.

4. MarcBinNC

MarcBinNC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2011
    Mooresville, NC
    Wow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by