No starter what do I feed my new chicks?

Brooke0207

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2017
So last night we ran out of started and just had some more chicks hatch and the only store nearby is closed, left with only laying mash is there anything else for my chicks to eat? Or can I make something?

I would just give them layer feed (if it is in pelleted form you will have to mash it up a little so that it is in crumbs, not dust) until you are able to get chick starter.

And do you have have grits? Just plain 'ol corn grits? You may be able to give that to them too.

Hi Brooke,
I think you'll be OK to feed them the layer mash until you can get more chick crumbles. The layer mash has more calcium that chicks need and less protein that chicks need, so when it's available, switch back to the chick crumbles. In the meantime, I think they'll be just fine. You could give them a little bit of chopped egg yolks for extra protein if you want to.

Hi Brooke,
I think you'll be OK to feed them the layer mash until you can get more chick crumbles. The layer mash has more calcium that chicks need and less protein that chicks need, so when it's available, switch back to the chick crumbles. In the meantime, I think they'll be just fine. You could give them a little bit of chopped egg yolks for extra protein if you want to.
Thank you!! That's super helpful!

Give them mashed, scrambled eggs. It's the ideal food, as they've been living entirely on eggs for the past 21 days (during incubation). It's what the "old-timers" used to use in the days before chick starter existed.

In addition to chick starter, I provide chicks with mashed, scrambled eggs a couple times per week until they're at least a month old. It's a great protein, vitamin and mineral supplement.

Back
Top Bottom