No stomach feathers, external stomach irritation

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zan328, Mar 25, 2011.

1. zan328

zan328 Hatching

Mar 25, 2011
    I have a 3-year old hen I thought was broody, staying in the nest all day. When I moved her to check underneath for eggs, I realized her underneath feathers were all gone and her skin looks irritated, red & blotchy. Any thoughts?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Is she bloated underneath or feel "solid"? Might look into ascities if she's bloated or stand like a pinguin. Or you can look into internal laying. Or look into external paracites like lice/mites.

She could very well be just broody, plucked out her feathers, and chicken skin tends to turn red and blotchy when exposed and not covered by feathers.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Broodies will often pull out their belly feathers, so that the eggs will be against their skin.....It's OK.

4. zan328

zan328 Hatching

Mar 25, 2011
    I will check her for bugs, and if I don't find any I will assume she is okay. I think she is one that was broody last summer, but I sure don't remember her pecking her tummy feathers off [​IMG] Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by