No tail feathers at almost 7 weeks! ROO?? Pics to Compare

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MLWoods, Oct 5, 2012.

1. MLWoods

MLWoods Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2012
    Cincinnati
    [​IMG]
    Here is Cybil, the GL Wyandotte, and the one that I am concerned is a roo. She has no tail feathers and is a bit smaller than the rest. I got them all as one day old chicks from Mt Healthy Hatchery.
    [​IMG]
    Golden Comet and SL Wyandotte to compare

[​IMG]
    SL wyandotte, all the chicks pretty much have tail feathers like these, except for the GLWyandotte.
    No really red combs, I am too new to look at the legs and see if they are big or not. All are close to the same size, she is a bit smaller. I just read that roos get tail feathers later. Any ideas?
    Thanks Guys [​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I'd say some one is plucking them out. even for a roo, its pretty slow

3. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    X2

4. MLWoods

Aug 23, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Here is an update. I cant find any evidence of her tail feathers being picked out. There are a few feathers floating around the run, but none that match her. Any more guesses?
    [​IMG]
    This pic was taken this morning, so they are about 8 weeks old.

5. Syerf

Syerf Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    If it is smaller than the rest it is likely at the bottom of the pecking order. From the pictures it does look like the tail is being picked at.

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    most the time if another bird picks a feather out from a bird, the picker eats the feather, so you might not find them

7. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Sometimes dotts take a long time to feather in-it isn't screaming roo yet...keep an eye on it for now.

8. MLWoods

Aug 23, 2012
    Cincinnati
    Sort of on subject..This one is the top of the order, I noticed this yesterday. Are these new keathers growing in? Feathers picked out? Or evidence that the hawk we spotted perched over the fence into the run actually got her. This gal played dead, I was shocked when she wasn't! The hawk incident was Tuesday, we were pretty lucky,
    [​IMG]

9. ESofVA

ESofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Looks like quite a few feathers for molting...None of mine have bald spots but they are molting. I am pretty new too and just learning.
    I don't think "playing dead" would do it for a hawk attack. If it attacked it and it played dead it would have been gotten for sure. I lost two to a hawk this summer and it didn't want to leave until I got within just a few feet of it. Chickens were alreay dead.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by