no tail feathers

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kman, Dec 25, 2009.

1. kman

kman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    i have a welsummer rooster(bob) and he would be almost perfect but he has no tail feathers, when i got him from a lady who breeds them he had them( she did not want him anymore because he got into a fight and lost an eye). right after i got him he was in a fight with me EE rooster(he is gone now) and got hurt pretty bad, he is doing great now so why no tail feathers. a couple of my hens are like this to althought i just knock theirs up to being young, could this be a problem in both cases. bob is or was going to be a breeder this spring but if the lack of tail feathers is a problem i will just have to get another rooster.

thanks for any help yall can offer

2. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    he probably lost them fighting, he will grow them back after a molt. other then missing an eye and his tail how close is he to what you want to breed with, none of those traits would get passed in breeding unless he is unable to breed cause he has hurt himself so bas fighting

3. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:I would say you have a tail puller in the midst. I had one that lost all her tail feathers 1 by 1. Then they ann grew back in. I find tail feathers around form time to time. My Onagadori, which isn't suppose to molt has lost 3 of his longest tail feathers from a puller. I don't know who the culprit is but I'm guessing it's Tyson. She has an attitude anyway.

4. kman

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    Quote:i want to get a pic of him and post because to me besides the lack of tail feathers he looks almost exactly like the pictures u would see in a hatchery ad. i do not think he is unable to breed seeing as how he is allways attempting to breed unless he is infertile and their will be only one way to answer that queston

5. kman

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    Quote:I would say you have a tail puller in the midst. I had one that lost all her tail feathers 1 by 1. Then they ann grew back in. I find tail feathers around form time to time. My Onagadori, which isn't suppose to molt has lost 3 of his longest tail feathers from a puller. I don't know who the culprit is but I'm guessing it's Tyson. She has an attitude anyway.

i have supspected a tail puller but i am not sure i have not seen a lot o tail feathers laying around, but if i happen to see this then that one will have to go

6. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Quote:i want to get a pic of him and post because to me besides the lack of tail feathers he looks almost exactly like the pictures u would see in a hatchery ad. i do not think he is unable to breed seeing as how he is allways attempting to breed unless he is infertile and their will be only one way to answer that queston

sure we love pics, does that mean you like him and gonna keep him around for breeding

7. kman

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS

sure we love pics, does that mean you like him and gonna keep him around for breeding

Yes he will be staying around for breeding he is my favorite chicken all together, to bad he does not feel the same (he doesn't like to be picked up but once in your arms he chills out) welsummers and silver laced wyndottes are what i am going to breed. right now i have alot of rosters luckly none have been fighting but this spring i will be selling all of the EE rosters we have a chicken sale ever saturday morning at a local feed store hope i can sale them all their save me a lot of headace in the future

8. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    as long as he fits in ?
    we have a gorgous barred rock roo, but his attitude sucks and he attacks the kids (just doesnt fit in) so after christmas hes gone

9. kman

Nov 24, 2009
    hattiesburg,MS
    yes he fits in well the everybody likes him that has ever even saw him, he just has that ore about him you know what i mean

10. cw

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    fitting in so to say is the most imoprtant character to a bird we keep for breeding, if you cant work with him or he attacks everything he sees what god is he

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by