1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NO tail feathers??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by amgreen1980, May 11, 2011.

1. amgreen1980

amgreen1980 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    My one little Barred Rock still has NO tail feathers and her 2 sisters (?) both have tail feathers almost an inch long. Someone said this is a good sign that it could be a rooster? Im uploading a few pics now...

Not great pics, I took them with my iphone. Here is my suspected roo...a fuzzy grey/white butt and not a tail feather in site.
    [​IMG]

And the other two (girls?) both look almost identical. With teeny tiny white tips on a few feathers.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. LunarRayne

LunarRayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    Barred Rock can be sexed by color. The pullets are more black and the roosters are more white. I have 3BR and 2 are roos and 1 hen.

3. LunarRayne

LunarRayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    I am guessing the first one is a roo. It look like the feathers in the wings are more white. The other is a pullet. Just my opinion.

4. chichick

chichick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The roos have a white ring on there neck that connects to there spot on there head.

5. amgreen1980

amgreen1980 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Steelville, Missouri
    I don't think there is a white ring around the neck...of to check! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by