No Tail!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beverley7, Jul 4, 2010.

1. beverley7

beverley7 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Hello. I have a 10 week old Welsummer hen and she seems to be lacking tail feathers. She looks like a large ball with legs. The rest of her body is fully feathered but her tail hasn't developed yet. Is this normal? Many thanks for any help.

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Hi,
    [​IMG]
    I do not think it is normal for a Welsummer to do that. However, I have had a lot of Easter-eggers that did not have tails as chicks grow tails before they were mature.

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    you sure she is a welsummer? do u have pics...........

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I had a Golden Lakenvelder which spontaneously hatched rumpless. It does happen. If there is a tail stump, you'll be able to feel the bone and flesh from which the tail will eventually grow. Boys get their tail feathers significantly later than the girls in some lines, so it may have the tail digit and no real feathering as yet.

You may just have a rumpless Wellie!

Here's a shot of Rumpert, my GL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's full-grown now and has absolutely the most hilarious look about him- like half of him is missing, due to the body type of the breed and the giant comb. I'll have to post some shots of him later.

5. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Your chick is rumpless. It mutated.

6. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    He is cute!! He's got this look about him, like "where'd my tail go???"[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by