No time like the present for a feed change?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gritsar, Jan 3, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I hurried to the feed store this morning, so I could get home before DH had to leave for work. The feed store is about 30 miles away.

I told the counter guy (the usual one) - two bags of layer pellets, two bags of layer crumbles and one bag of black rooster.

I have been very reluctant to switch the juveniles over to pellets because of the two silkies and the meaties in that coop. I'm just not sure the silkies can eat pellets and there's no telling what the meaties would think of them.

The guy that loaded my order was not the usual guy. The bags looked right, so I didn't check the tags.

Got home and unloaded and I now have four bags of pellets. [​IMG]

Tell me again how the silkies can eat pellets! (The pellets are small, thankfully). [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Options:

1. Try it and see.

2. Put some in a blender.

3. Tell them they are all grown up now and need to find their own food since they have not decided to go broody and earn their keep. You don't need them any more.

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    My silkies eat pellets perfectly fine. I switch mine over from chick feed to Flock Raiser at about 8 weeks and they don't have any problems. If they get a big piece, they bang it a little till it breaks and they can eat it.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Have Impy pre-chew it for them.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh my friend, things have changed in your absence. I have a SF that's broody. I gave her eggs a week ago. My meatie broody broke on New Years Day, but today I have another SF refusing to come off the nest and a silkie pulling out her breast feathers to line a nest with.
    I think my broody issue is solved. Too bad I purchased more birds as egglayers, not broodies! [​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think you don't need the Silkies because others are going broody. I knew about the SF but had not seen anything about the Meatie breaking. Sorry.

The Silkie showing signs is not convincing to me. You've had that happen several times in the past. If she is bluffing, she still needs her walking papers, or as a minimum quit pampering her and let her earn her own keep. At least the other SF looks like a chicken.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:[​IMG] Once again Gritty, I didn't have to say it!

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Mercy gave up her nest?

Darn.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yeah she did. She's outside sunbathing right now.

When I found them the eggs they were ice cold but I put them in the bator, just in case. I don't hold out much hope though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by