No touchey?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coltsrox, Apr 28, 2008.

1. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    Alright my babies are almost 6-7 weeks, how they grow!!!! anyways when i pick up my roo he struggles to get out of my hand like he doesn't want to be held,why? he eats out of my hand and so does she are they growing up? do they not like to be held when they grow up? this breaks my heart for i love them and all of a sudden they don;t want to be held........

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I think in general, most birds (all species) don't like to be held. They are prey, after all. I think it's a defense mechanism. Don't take it personally. Mine jump on my shoulders and arms when I visit. They are friendly to the max, but they don't like being picked up. It's a bird thing. [​IMG]

3. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Good question and answer. Just this evening my roo acted like I was some kind of monster when I picked him up to put him in the coop for bedtime. He and the others are 6 weeks old also.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Another thing they don't like is not having their feet firmly planted on something. If you can put your hand under their feet, often they calm down if they feel stable.

5. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    great anwsers thank you! silkie chicken i have noticed that so much..interesting i was just wondering why i thought they could be tamed......

6. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I slide my hand, palm up under my chicks so my index and little fingers end up on either side of their legs. With my ring and middle finger between their legs supporting them by their breast. Then just scoop them up rather slowly and put their feet on my palm so they are standing on my hand. They usually don't freak out this way and settle down in my warm hand and will sit there for quite a while. It seems to really freak them out if I come over them with my hands...must be that prey thing!

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    All of my chickens are sweethearts and have been raised exactly the same from babies. MOST of them love to be snuggled. My rooster, however, won't even let me touch one feather!!!! Made me sad for awhile, now I know it is just him. He is good to his hens, nice to us, friendly, loves to be photographed, just don't touch!!!! They have such distinctive personalities you are bound to find some that don't want your hands on them!!!

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Mine didn't get friendly until they were almost full grown. Just be patient.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by