1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No turner.. do I just place the eggs on the screen?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FLITZ, Feb 14, 2012.

1. FLITZ

FLITZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    I've seen some that put the eggs into cartons with the bottoms cut out. I was planning on just putting the eggs in on the screen all the way to the end. Will this be okay?
    LG still air no turner

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    That would be fine as long as you hand turn them three times a day. I recommend putting an "X" on one side of the egg and an "O" on the other so that you don't get confused with which side you have turned.

Another very easy way to make an egg turner is take an egg carton and glue PVC pipe to the bottom. Place the eggs pointy end down inside the carton and gently tilt the carton three times a day. Here are some pictures of mine in case you are confused:

[​IMG]
    Bottom of my egg turner.

[​IMG]
    Top of my egg turner.
    [​IMG]
    Turning (or tilting) the eggs.

[​IMG]
    Turning (or tilting) the eggs.

I cut holes in the bottom of my egg carton. I did that for air flow purposes. I am not sure if it make much of a difference or not.

Good Luck with your hatch!

3. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I have only incubated twice. I like the ease of putting the eggs in a carton with bottoms cut out of each cup. I don't open the bator to turn but instead use a nice thick book to prop the bator up on one side from underneath the bator itself. I change sides 3-4 times a day.

But I know many people who turn the eggs by hand and just have them laying flat on the grated surface of the bator. It's really a learning experience and finding out what way results in great hatches for you. Good LUCK!

4. FLITZ

FLITZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    its my first time I don't want to try anything fancy yet. trying to learn this and do it in a way thats as easy as possible.
    I may try different things next time.

so. I'll have no problem putting them right on the bottom of the LG then and just roll each egg by hand?

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes thats fine, but it does take time and you have to make sure its level so they dont roll around. I prefer egg cartons, and the idea of the pipe and egg carton I will have to try, that will make my turning 60 eggs so much easier. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by