1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No turning back now!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lizdelc, Mar 25, 2016.

1. lizdelc

lizdelc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Iowa
    I did it. I finally ordered chicks! Here's to my new adventure!

3 Buff Orpingtons- my sons choice. He has been super involved in the coop work, so I let him pick a breed. He wanted "the golden ones"
    3 Easter Eggers
    3 French black copper Marans
    3 Speckled Sussex
    3 Silver laced Wyandottes

I am calling this our learning year. I have read everything I can get my hands on, but I know the real learning begins when they show up at the post office!

Thanks all for this site! I can literally search any question, and find an answer! What a gift!!!!!!

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    One of my Buff Orpington pullets is a lap chicken. To the extent that she will forgo treats to get a few minutes of lap time and petting. I think your son made a good choice!

My EEs and SSs are less than 3 weeks old, but the EEs are hilarious and the SSs are very outgoing.

3. MoffatChicken

MoffatChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Congrats!! Buffs are great chickens especially for kids they have a calm disposition and are easy to manage.

Good Luck

4. lizdelc

lizdelc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Iowa
    Yay! I had heard that BO's were the yellow labs of the chicken world- I guess it's true! I know these will be wel loved. Hopefully, we will get a "lap chicken" too. :)

I can't wait to learn all their personalities! I am really looking forward to some chicken TV!

5. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    The way into a chicken's heart is initially through their stomach...once they learn that you are the "food-bringers" they tend to lose the fear of you unless you do something to activate their prey response. Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by